Skip to main content

Working Blues

OK that doesn't sounds quite like that, it's the blue Metro Twist.
I finished getting the units sewn and have half of them trimmed.



Was able to get the half that was trimmed sewn together.



I so wanted to get more done this evening but I was interrupted while locking up the chickens.
It was already past sunset by the time I got out to the hen house, I didn't want to stop working on trimming.

Anyway I went out there and notice that most of the girls were on the roost and not in the nesting boxes but it is unusually warm, like a spring day.
There were 5 on roost I thought, so I looked in the boxes to start counting the others. Figured I check for eggs while I was looking.
First one I put my hand in I got a gravel sound, disturb one. Went on to the other boxes and found two more eggs. The girls are starting to lay a decent amount now. Then it dawn on me that I only counted one box occuppied. Well sometimes they will double up in the box. Looked in, it is dark now, no light in the hen house so I couldn't tell if it was one or two, so I stuck my hand in again towards the middle to see if there were two. That is when I got a growl this time, at the same time I felt fur. Talk about a shock and I jumped back, impressively quick I say for a fifty something woman.


If it's not a possum instead of a chicken.
I am so lucky that I did not get bitten, look at those teeth.
LUCKY
Well went back to the house to get a light and the 22. Now you have to realize once they find eggs, they will be back. I had to make sure that doesn't happen if it was still there when I got back.
All I say is that it will not be back.
Now I just hope this doesn't put the girls back into the dry spell like they were in after the groundhogs last september and the buzzard around Thanksgiving. They didn't lay eggs for a couple months after that. I'll know in a day or two  

It is suppose to be close to 80 tomorrow, unreal.



Want to finish putting these blocks together.
Will see. 

  

Comments

  1. Omg what was it..... I shot a couple of foxes recently... The got a guinea fowl.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how un-fun. Hopefully the girls will let this one go without getting fussy over it. Glad you weren't injured at initial contact.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That could have soo been me! I run out in the dusk so often to put the girls away often without a flashlight. Reminds me to be more careful and better prepared. I always call the dogs to go with me cuz I'm scared of bears but I sure don't want to run into possums or skunks or raccoons or bobcats or mountain lions or???

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore your metro twist in blue! BEAUTIFUL!

    eeekkkk that critter looks scary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty pattern, love the round edges and the blues.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  6. I miss my chickens ... we cannot have them in our new locale :-(

    Yes, you were very lucky you did not get bitten - possums are nasty, vicious creatures, who will attack at the slightest provocation. And they are ugly too. ~Val

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Welcome friends to share a thought, I enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply back by email most of the time. But if you do not hear back it's because you are a no-reply blogger.

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a Portable Design Wall

I had wanted to get a portable design wall to take to retreats but did not want to pay the price. Looked at various pins on pinterest and took ideas from more than one to come up with my verison. It worked out great and only cost a fraction of the price. The PVC pipes, joints and 2 yards of felt cost under $22.00 My design wall is 4' x 4' which stands approximately 5 1/5' tall. For this size need 2 - 10ft length of 3/4" PVC pipe for the frame and 4ft of 1" PVC pipe for the feet Cut the 3/4" PVC into 4 - 4' section                                                                                       2 - 1' section              Cut the 1"  PVC into 4 - 1' section          The joints you'll need will be 2 - 3/4" elbows 2 - 3/4" T's 2 - 3/4" to 1" T (this will be the base of the Feet) 4 - 1" elbow Also need pipe cutters (this cost me almost as much

Yarn Along 2/20/13 Spoon Pin Doily

It's snowing here and I know some of you are tired of snow but here we will take the moisture any way we can get it. Plus it just gives me a reason to stay in and work on some of my projects. In this picture I'm not sure if you can make it out but in the background there are some wild turkeys that hang around the house sometime, just  chilling This project I'm working on is Spool Pin Doilies.   I had never heard of them before until Bonnie Hunter had mentioned it on her blog . She a had a viewer send her one for her sewing machine along with a pattern. I did not like the pattern but loved the idea so I decided to make up my own version. I wanted a more simple, smaller and fuller doily. So I tried different thread sizes to get one that I like. (From left to right) I tried sock yarn, which I'll redo because I think I like that look. Heavy weight crochet thread, nope too big Bamboo yarn, I like it. Looks good on my Kenmore. Pearl cott

What's Up

Well that is a big question, what's up Seeing how I haven't posted since before the retreat I went to. So I will show what I did at the retreat and what I have been doing these past few days, which is this Log Cabin Christmas Tree  wall hanging I have the blocks completed and now it just a matter of getting them sewn together. I'll get to that tomorrow. While at the retreat I made this baby quilt top with the disappearing 4-patch block. I had a charm pack and used some "snow" fabric Kaufman snow is one of my favorite whites to use. It's white but not a stark, bright white, goes well with a majority of the fabric I've collected. I started late making my blocks for RCS14 First I wasn't sure what pattern I wanted to make and then with all that was going on the first part of the year, I didn't start until July. One quilt is using a quarter log cabin in solid colors. I made these at the retreat, have the other half t