Skip to main content

Sun dried tomatoes

This year I've had a really good crop of tomatoes. I've been able to can, freeze and make salsa but I thought I would try to make some dried tomatoes in the oven. Back in California where the humidity being so low and it seemed like it was sunny all the time and it was easy to do sun dried tomatoes outside. But here in Oklahoma with all the humidity, I didn't see how that it would be  possible to do it outside so I got on the Internet and look around to see what it would take to do it an alternative way, seeing how I don't  have a dehydrator. 
 Found various information and from that I just kind of put it all together and this is how I did my sun dried tomatoes.


 I took the small romas that I had and cut them in half and seeded them out.


Then I placed them on a wire rack on top of my cookie sheet. A lot of them said that you could just use a cookie sheet that was not aluminum or you could put parchment paper down. But there is one that had done it on a rack and I thought that would be better air circulation to go around the tomatoes. So that's what I did placed a rack on top of a cookie sheet.



  The oven can be a temperature of 180 to 200°. I put mine at 180 and then I season with 2 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. thyme, 1 tsp. oregano and 1 tsp. basil, mixed it together and sprinkled it on top.
 Then I just put them in the oven after about three hours I opened the door to let out any moisture, shut the door and kept drying. After about 8 to 10 hours depends on how thick they were, they were ready. 







You want them leathery but dry, don't want to be to dry where there are hard and crunchy. 
















Now I'm going to store mine in the freezer


 because if you put them an oil they don't keep as long but I figure if there's a time when I want them in oil I could just go ahead and put them in the oil, then put them in the refrigerator. That way they'll be ready for me in a day or two.

There it is 




Comments

  1. The tomatoes look yummy... great idea, if you buy sun dried tomatoes they cost a fortune.
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Welcome friends to share a thought, I enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply back by email most of the time. But if you do not hear back it's because you are a no-reply blogger.

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a Portable Design Wall

I had wanted to get a portable design wall to take to retreats but did not want to pay the price. Looked at various pins on pinterest and took ideas from more than one to come up with my verison. It worked out great and only cost a fraction of the price. The PVC pipes, joints and 2 yards of felt cost under $22.00 My design wall is 4' x 4' which stands approximately 5 1/5' tall. For this size need 2 - 10ft length of 3/4" PVC pipe for the frame and 4ft of 1" PVC pipe for the feet Cut the 3/4" PVC into 4 - 4' section                                                                                       2 - 1' section              Cut the 1"  PVC into 4 - 1' section          The joints you'll need will be 2 - 3/4" elbows 2 - 3/4" T's 2 - 3/4" to 1" T (this will be the base of the Feet) 4 - 1" elbow Also need pipe cutters (this cost me almost as much

Yarn Along 2/20/13 Spoon Pin Doily

It's snowing here and I know some of you are tired of snow but here we will take the moisture any way we can get it. Plus it just gives me a reason to stay in and work on some of my projects. In this picture I'm not sure if you can make it out but in the background there are some wild turkeys that hang around the house sometime, just  chilling This project I'm working on is Spool Pin Doilies.   I had never heard of them before until Bonnie Hunter had mentioned it on her blog . She a had a viewer send her one for her sewing machine along with a pattern. I did not like the pattern but loved the idea so I decided to make up my own version. I wanted a more simple, smaller and fuller doily. So I tried different thread sizes to get one that I like. (From left to right) I tried sock yarn, which I'll redo because I think I like that look. Heavy weight crochet thread, nope too big Bamboo yarn, I like it. Looks good on my Kenmore. Pearl cott

What's Up

Well that is a big question, what's up Seeing how I haven't posted since before the retreat I went to. So I will show what I did at the retreat and what I have been doing these past few days, which is this Log Cabin Christmas Tree  wall hanging I have the blocks completed and now it just a matter of getting them sewn together. I'll get to that tomorrow. While at the retreat I made this baby quilt top with the disappearing 4-patch block. I had a charm pack and used some "snow" fabric Kaufman snow is one of my favorite whites to use. It's white but not a stark, bright white, goes well with a majority of the fabric I've collected. I started late making my blocks for RCS14 First I wasn't sure what pattern I wanted to make and then with all that was going on the first part of the year, I didn't start until July. One quilt is using a quarter log cabin in solid colors. I made these at the retreat, have the other half t