Skip to main content

I Need Help


Help

I'm getting ahead of myself, first things first

What I am listening to this week in the book The Book Thief

The Book Thief | [Markus Zusak]

I'm on the fifth chapter right now and I can say I'm enjoying this book very much. It is told through the voice of a soul taker. Right now I can not totally put my finger on whom the soul taker is. Whether it's holy power, the devil or grime reaper. Haven't figured that out yet but despite that it is very captivating.
Again here is what the publisher has to say about the book.  


Book Description

September 11, 2007
It’s just a small story really, about among other things: a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery. . . .

Set during World War II in Germany, Markus Zusak’s groundbreaking new novel is the story of Liesel Meminger, a foster girl living outside of Munich. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist–books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau.

This is an unforgettable story about the ability of books to feed the soul.


I am almost finished with the socks I started 2 weeks ago. Just have to complete the toe section.

 

Now to the plea for help




I am multitasking. My weekly goal is to go through my yarn stash and organized it, and here it is.



This portion of my stash in tubs out in the garage
 As you can tell I have a lot of yarn.
Collected over decades.
(Yes decades)


My problem is I have really no good way to store it and as you can tell, some of it is in bags. What I need is help on how to do an inventory of it so I know what I have once I store it back into the closet or shelf I had it on. So if you know of an app that helps to inventory your yarn or if you have a method yourself that you use, please leave a comment with either a link to your blog, or an explanation of how you go about it or an app that you use. I would love to know. Also if you have a great way of storing it. I would also love to know that too. I have really no shelf space so I can't display it to see what I have. Most of my yarn is stashed away in a closet. So if you have a great way of organizing it that way I would love to know.
I am in real need of help here and I hoping you have some good ideas for me. I would be forever grateful.

Check my linky parties tab at top to get links to Yarn Along, Patchwork Times

Comments

  1. I'm going through the same process. I'm going to try to inventory my stash using Ravelry. I keep an online archive of my sewing patterns and its really helpful, so I'm hoping having something similar in place for yarn will help me see what I have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use Iris carts to store my yarn, plus plastic tubs. The tubs hold yarns that are the same, or project dedicated. The Iris carts hold yarn in categories, like sock, DK, sports, baby, etc. For tracking it, I have a spread sheet that lists tons of info. I am way OCD about it. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What about using the "space bags"? Will they do harm to yarn? I have used them for years for quilt tops and fabric. No damage done there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'll love the book. It's an interesting way to tell the story. One of my favorites that I've read over the last couple of years. I have no hints on how to help you store your yarns. I have a problem myself containing all my fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Try to organize them by kind of yarn, so that you can find them easier when looking for a type of yarn for a project. If I have many of some knid, I keep them all in a big plastic bin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I organize mine by yarn weight. I have lots of fingering weight, so that's also organized by color. I use Ravelry to track my stash. There's a place where you can note where you've put it. If you can see that what you are looking for is in tub #3 in the garage or in a big red bag on closet shelf, it's 'way less frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wrote a blog post about how I organize my fabric. It's here:
    http://rainbowsbunniescupcakes.blogspot.com/2012/05/my-semi-organized-fabric.html
    I'm kinda low-tech about it: a three-ring binder allows me to page through the snapshots of things. And, it's all about having a system that works both for your personal style, and your available storage space(s).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wrote a blog post about how I organize my fabric. It's here:
    http://rainbowsbunniescupcakes.blogspot.com/2012/05/my-semi-organized-fabric.html
    I'm kinda low-tech about it: a three-ring binder allows me to page through the snapshots of things. And, it's all about having a system that works both for your personal style, and your available storage space(s).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Unos trabajos muy bonitos y originales . Enhorabuena por tu blog , hay mucho arte .Un saludo desde SPAIN

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Welcome friends to share a thought, I enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply back by email most of the time. But if you do not hear back it's because you are a no-reply blogger.

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a Portable Design Wall

I had wanted to get a portable design wall to take to retreats but did not want to pay the price. Looked at various pins on pinterest and took ideas from more than one to come up with my verison. It worked out great and only cost a fraction of the price. The PVC pipes, joints and 2 yards of felt cost under $22.00 My design wall is 4' x 4' which stands approximately 5 1/5' tall. For this size need 2 - 10ft length of 3/4" PVC pipe for the frame and 4ft of 1" PVC pipe for the feet Cut the 3/4" PVC into 4 - 4' section                                                                                       2 - 1' section              Cut the 1"  PVC into 4 - 1' section          The joints you'll need will be 2 - 3/4" elbows 2 - 3/4" T's 2 - 3/4" to 1" T (this will be the base of the Feet) 4 - 1" elbow Also need pipe cutters (this cost me almost as much

Yarn Along 2/20/13 Spoon Pin Doily

It's snowing here and I know some of you are tired of snow but here we will take the moisture any way we can get it. Plus it just gives me a reason to stay in and work on some of my projects. In this picture I'm not sure if you can make it out but in the background there are some wild turkeys that hang around the house sometime, just  chilling This project I'm working on is Spool Pin Doilies.   I had never heard of them before until Bonnie Hunter had mentioned it on her blog . She a had a viewer send her one for her sewing machine along with a pattern. I did not like the pattern but loved the idea so I decided to make up my own version. I wanted a more simple, smaller and fuller doily. So I tried different thread sizes to get one that I like. (From left to right) I tried sock yarn, which I'll redo because I think I like that look. Heavy weight crochet thread, nope too big Bamboo yarn, I like it. Looks good on my Kenmore. Pearl cott

What's Up

Well that is a big question, what's up Seeing how I haven't posted since before the retreat I went to. So I will show what I did at the retreat and what I have been doing these past few days, which is this Log Cabin Christmas Tree  wall hanging I have the blocks completed and now it just a matter of getting them sewn together. I'll get to that tomorrow. While at the retreat I made this baby quilt top with the disappearing 4-patch block. I had a charm pack and used some "snow" fabric Kaufman snow is one of my favorite whites to use. It's white but not a stark, bright white, goes well with a majority of the fabric I've collected. I started late making my blocks for RCS14 First I wasn't sure what pattern I wanted to make and then with all that was going on the first part of the year, I didn't start until July. One quilt is using a quarter log cabin in solid colors. I made these at the retreat, have the other half t